With another hot Aussie Summer just around the corner, many of us are trying fire up our metabolism to get our bodies fit and toned ready to don our new season’s bikini (or whatever swim suit takes your fancy).
So I thought I’d share some tips on boosting your metabolism and fast tracking your weight loss for maximum bikini body results. Just because we get a bit older doesn’t mean we can’t rock a pair of awesome Seafolly bathers at the beach.
I’ve compiled a list of 5 great articles that cover my key points listed below. And, even if you only implement a few of them you will definitely get your metabolism fired up for summer.
1. Eat foods that boost your metabolism: “You are what you eat”. So feed your body with foods 7 supplements that will help you reach your goals rather than fight you all the way.
2. Exercise your body: No healthy eating program will tone up your muscles. So you have to lend a hand by exercising regularly. For optimal results, you need to combine a range of activities from HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), through to yoga, but nothing boosts your metabolism faster than building muscle, which we cover in point 5.
3. Eliminate refined sugars: Ok, this is probably a no brainer but it is by far the hardest thing for most of us to do. Doughnuts are obvious sugar bandits, but it’s the hidden sugar in some of our so-called healthy snacks that catch us out. That and salts, but that is another story.
So many of our foods we purchase are stuffed full of added sugars. So check the labels. (Contents are listed in order of highest amount to lowest, so usually, water (aqua) will be first on the list then sugars etc.)
4. Drink more water: Hydrating our bodies is something many of us underestimate. We need to be consuming at least 2.5 L of water daily, and this is just for maintenance. We need to increase this if we participate in any physical activity or if we want to boost our metabolism. So go drink some water.
5. Lift weights: This is by far the best way to shed excess flab and tone up for summer. Building muscle increases metabolism faster than any other process, which means you burn fat faster too.
Try this great little quiz if you want to understand some of your food cravings.
Read these 5 Articles to help you get your body ready for summer:
1. Increase Metabolism with food
Here’s something you may not already know. Just by consuming certain metabolism-boosting foods and drinks, you can give your body a kick-start in calorie burning, and speed up that metabolism of yours.
First of all, drop the idea that eating slows your metabolism. Eating any food causes an uptick in metabolic rate.
This process is referred to as the thermic effect of food, or Thermogenesis, which, reportedly burns 10% of our daily calorie intake. Approximately 180 calories/day (on an 1800 calories diet) just by eating.
So if you thought starving yourself or eating less was going to boost your metabolism, think again. So go get eating; of course, there are foods that work better for you than others, so check out the article below for some great food choices.
See a list of 21 metabolism boosting foods at organic authority
You can also find loads of information on metabolism boosting foods & spices on the Dr Oz website
2. Get Lots of exercise
Now we are in Spring, you might be thinking it’s too late to get your beach body back. But, in less than 30 days you can transform your winter body into something you’re proud to display. So, what are you waiting for? Get moving today!
Just make sure you warm up your body properly and stretch before you get going. Our older bodies need longer to get prepared for any physical challenges. The last thing you need is to injure yourself before Summer.
This Fitness Magazine article will show you how to shape and tone your abs, arms, butt, and thighs and shed those unwanted kilograms using a diet and exercise program designed by professionals.
Get ready to sizzle this summer!
To find out how easy it is, visit Fitness Magazine
3. Lower your refined sugar intake
If you struggle with eliminating sugar from your diet (as most of us do) this great article will help you wean yourself off in no time at all.
Nutritionist Lisa Guy shares seven tips for lowering your sugar intake. 7 days 7 ways: By making a few simple changes every day you can cut back on the sweet stuff.
4. Drinking More Water
Dehydration is the enemy of weight loss and general health. Without adequately hydrated our workouts will suffer and so will our results (lean fit and strong).
Water boosts your caloric burn. So our body burns calories every time we eat or drink (including water).
So besides helping to cleanse our body of toxic wastes, keeping our skin subtle and young and all our organs functioning, water will help you shed those extra kilo’s and get you beach babe ready. Water also helps reduce cellulite; and who doesn’t want that?
In this info packed article, Women’s Health magazine outlines 5 easy ways you can help boost your bikini body weight loss process, just by drinking more water.
5. Include weight training in your workout
When you increase your muscle mass, you boost your resting metabolism…and that means your body burns more calories. That’s why it is recommended to add weight training to any exercise program.
This doesn’t mean you have to become a body building machine or join an Olympic lifting class, just incorporate weight bearing activity into your daily exercise regimen. You will not only burn fat while you work out but afterwards as well.
When your muscles are used and as they repair themselves they burn calories, so you can literally be burning calories up to two days after your weight training session.
Weight training is also proven to improve bone density, so as women we need to lift weight to keep our bones strong and stave off osteoporosis.
Shape.com show you how to build muscle to burn fat.
Subscribe for regular blog updates: